Vocational teacher education
Vocational teacher education is intended for applicants who work or intend to work as a teacher at universities of applied sciences and institutions of vocational education. The education offers a general pedagogical qualification for teaching at all educational levels.
The aim of vocational teacher education is to provide the students with
- the knowledge and skills needed in the guidance of the learning process of individual students
- the competencies to advance in their own teaching area, taking into account the development of working life and professions.
The extent of vocational teacher education is 60 credit points. It includes studies in the basics of educational sciences, vocational pedagogy, and a teaching practice, among other studies.
The next annual application period is on 10–30 January 2018. Application period ends on 30 January 2018 at 3:00 pm (UTC/GMT +2). The national joint online application is available during the application period.
The programme applicants must meet the eligibility criteria for teaching positions in vocational institutions and universities of applied sciences. The vocational teacher education institution will check your qualifications.
The following qualification requirements apply to candidates for Vocational Subject Teacher Education:
- a suitable higher education degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) and
- at minimum three years of work experience in their professional field. Applicants in the field of social services and health with a degree from a university of applied sciences must have five years of work experience.
The qualifications are determined by the following legislation:
- The Decree on the Qualifications of Educational Staff 986/1998
- The Polytechnic Act 932/2014
- The Decree on Polytechnics 352/2003.
Finnish legislation valid only in Finnish and Swedish.
More information on the website of the vocational teacher education institutions.
Information on modes of study and their implementation is available on the Internet sites of Vocational Teacher Education Institutions.
- HAMK University of Applied Sciences, Professional Teacher Education (Hämeenlinna)
- HAAGA-HELIA School of Vocational Teacher Education (Helsinki)
- Vocational Teacher Education College in Jyväskylä (Jyväskylä)
- Oulu University of Applied sciences, School of Vocational Teacher Education (Oulu)
- The School of Vocational Teacher Education at Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Tampere)